Over Coffee Conversations
Over Coffee Conversations are a stage-based event with conservative leaders concerning the subject matter of Dave Thompson's book, Over Coffee: A Conversation for Gay Partnership & Conservative Faith. The event provides conservative faith audiences with a unique opportunity to engage the controversial issue of gay partnership by means of a uniquely relaxed coffee-house conversation between Dave Thompson and his event participants.
Audience members will enjoy sitting in on this lively and thought-provoking discussion, watching as Dave and his guests reflect on a conservative-faith and biblical conversation around gay-partnership in the church. The audience will finish their engagement by participating in a Question & Answer time with the stage participants following the presentation.
A Safe Place
This event provides a unique atmosphere for safe consideration and discussion by observing the following rules of engagement:
- We will agree not to require any conclusions to be made
- We will remain within a conservative-faith context: accepting the Scriptures to be inspired and inerrant
- We will agree not to discuss any current political, economic, or legal issues
- We will agree to treat each other with respect and love
Outline of Event
The event is broken down into three sections, the first beginning with an introduction of the subject matter by Dave and the two remaining being led by the Pastor or Host. The following is a basic outline of the event:
- (if the event is being filmed) Director of Production will introduce themself and explain the format and filming details
- MC will introduce the participants and the Rules of Engagement (listed above)
- Main Event Content – the main content will be divided into three main components (20 minutes each)
- First Section: Dave Thompson will (1) provide a synopsis of his book, "Over Coffee," (2) clarify some definitions and context around the definition of "gay" for the context of the conversation, including a conversation about the Kinsey Scale, Reparative therapy, and common perceptions of gay persons
- Second Section: The Pastor or Host will begin with a conversation about the conservative-faith perspective of the Biblical Creation account, the separation of gender, and the marital sacrament, providing the case for the creative intention of marriage between opposite genders. Dave will reflect along with the Pastor or Host throughout the conversation.
- Third Section: The Pastor or Host will (1) discuss Matthew 19 (Jesus and the Context of Divorce and the Non-Ideal), (2) continuing with a conversation about divorce and remarriage in today's Church, (3) finishing with a conversation about Celibacy. Dave will reflect along with the Pastor or Host throughout the presentation.
(There will be a break here. Dave or another musician will provide a musical piece.)
For more information, contact us at